ACBC Sneakers for Men
Sneakers With a Green Soul: Shoes by ACBC
Through a crowdfunding project on the Kickstarter platform in 2017, the Italian brand ACBC, an acronym for "Anything Can Be Changed", has quickly become a leading global player in sustainable footwear. With multiple awards and certifications, founders Gio Giacobbe and Edoardo Iannuzzi are consistently pursuing their vision: to produce sustainable sneakers and establish an exemplary production method in the fashion world. The fashion industry alone is responsible for 10% of global CO2 emissions, making it more harmful than air travel and shipping combined. The two wanted to do something about this reality – and since founding the brand they have been extremely successful at it. Numerous awards, certifications and collaborations testify to ACBC's triumph. These include recognition by the non-profit organisation B Corp, which honours companies for their social and environmental efforts.
A Sustainable Collaboration
Collaborations with renowned brands such as Missoni for men, MSGM for men, Philippe Model and Save the Duck for men underline the high popularity of sustainable sneaker production even among leading designers. With a low ecological impact, ACBC makes sneakers and slides from recycled materials such as plastic bottles, corn starch, insoles and rubber. Organic cotton is also used, for example for the uppers of the Philippe Model sneakers for men and the corresponding laces. ACBC also uses recyclable materials for the packaging of its shoes. The brand also supports other footwear and accessories manufacturers in making the shift towards sustainable production and corporate culture.
Ready for Change: the ACBC Styles
Styles like the Lyon Low from the collaboration with Philippe Model, the high-top sneaker Basket from Missoni X ACBC or the running shoe Kmaro 42 in cooperation with Diadora, impress with unique style and the character of the respective brand. But Giacobbe and Iannuzzi also unleash their own creativity. The Evergreen sneaker is the brand's flagship. This shoe style is made of sustainable and 100% animal-free materials. The upper has been made from hemp fibres, while the lining is made from Seacell fabric with kelp algae fibres. The shoe is rounded off with a sole made from recycled rubber granules and laces made from natural jute. Another version of this classic contains cactus and cork components.
Our tip: The Evergreen Sneaker runs slightly smaller. If you are struggling between two sizes, we recommend you to choose the bigger size.
Innovative Materials for a Better Future
Climate change requires a rethink. This rethinking has led the founders of ACBC to pioneering new developments – because it is possible to do without leather and newly produced materials. In addition to designing its own products, the brand also sells innovative, patented materials, including:
- FreeBioTM: ACBC offers a vegan leather alternative called FreeBioTM, made from recycled polymers, bio-based components and mineral fillers. A special binder ensures the durability of this leather-like material.
- Cactus base: A remarkable innovation - ACBC presents a leather alternative based on biosynthesised molecules from starch. These are mixed with organic waste powder from cacti as well as polyurethane and applied to a fabric base. This groundbreaking material is used primarily in ACBC soles, details and accessories.
- Applebase: Also suitable for the production of vegan leather, apple waste from northern Italy is used as a bio-based filler.
- Cornbase: Agricultural waste provides the basis for Cornbase, a corn starch that can be used to make shoes and bags.
- GrapeBase: The so-called pomace, consisting of the skins, seeds and stems of grapes, can be processed as a vegetable raw material for heel caps and the main material of shoes.
- RePET: Recycling PET bottles saves a significant amount of CO2. The recycled material can be used as polyester in the fashion industry, which means less plastic ends up in landfills or pollutes the oceans.
- Organic Cotton & ReCotton: ACBC uses organic cotton for shoe uppers and laces. During cultivation, attention is paid to soil fertility and reduced use of toxic sprays. ReCotton, on the other hand, is recycled cotton that helps reduce waste in the fashion industry.
- JuteFiber: Jute has a high CO2 storage capacity, does not require artificial irrigation, pesticides or fertilisers and is biodegradable. ACBC uses jute mainly for shoelaces.
- HempFiber: Hemp fibres require less water to grow than cotton and are therefore suitable as an environmentally friendly fibre for linings and shoe uppers.
- Seacell: Fibres from the kelp algae are gently extracted and represent one of the fastest growing renewable fibres in the world.
- Cork: The bark of the cork tree is used as a material for shoe uppers, insoles and flip-flops.
- beyondplasticTM, ReFoam, ReRubber,WoolRubber: These materials are all used for the outsoles of ACBC sneakers. While beyondplasticTM is an alternative to plastic, the "Re" materials are made from recycled waste and recycled using innovative processes.
How to Combine ACBC Sneakers?
For the perfect sustainable look, pair your ACBC sneakers in a timeless design with a jumper by FTC for men. The brand also processes algae fibres and relies on sustainable cashmere. Or choose from the styles of the eco-friendly brand 04651/ A trip in a bag for men. Of course, each of the sporty styles can also be perfectly styled with designer sports and casual wear for men from a wide range of brands. The colours chosen by the Italian label are white, off-white, grey, dark blue and black – all muted colours that can be easily combined with pieces from your men's wardrobe.
"Anything Can Be Changed" - a Guiding Principle That ACBC Has Internalised
Since October 2022, ACBC has been setting out with its sustainability manifesto what the brand has set out to do to perfect its production in terms of climate neutrality and environmental protection. The pioneer has set itself the goal of revolutionising the shoe market and making it more sustainable. If you also value sustainable fashion or would like to support innovative brands and test their products, then the range of ACBC sneakers for men in the BRAUN Hamburg online shop is just right for you.